It Begins With Words

Ksenia Anske is kind of my hero.

I’m actually live chatting with her as I type (*SWOON*) because she agreed to do a Happy Hour in our Tipsy Book Club.  And everything she says makes me want to punch the sky and scream: FUCK YEAH!!

You know why?  She does it for her readers.

I know this and I love this.  Every time someone reads a blog post, a poem, my book, I kind of scream like a baby goat.  I do a lot of screaming if you haven’t noticed.

But really, my whole writing existence is based on the eyes scanning my words, my pages.  And that part is easy for me.

What’s not easy, is the actual sitting down and WRITING part that Ksenia masters like the badass ninja she is.

So many things, TOO many things get in the way: leading the Tipsy pack, taking my daughter to dance class, washing dishes, folding laundry, walking the dogs, walking myself, grocery shopping, my social anxiety, my clips of depression, my hair’s too long, too thin, I’m tired, I don’t wanna, I DIDN’T SIGN UP FOR THIS!!!!!

But that’s not true.  What’s getting in the way of my writing process is, well, me.

Because when it comes right down to it, those things I THINK get in the way, really make me who I am, and without the beautiful stink of weekly monotony, I wouldn’t be able to appreciate sitting down and lightly hovering the tips of my fingers over the keys.

It begins with words, it begins with embracing the every day.

It begins with that chair, that desk.  Bending your knees, bending the words.

Advertisements

16 Comments Add yours

1. colormusing says:

Well said, Ericka. And I think I read in the freelance writer’s manual that regular screaming is part of the process.

1. Ericka Clay says:

Thank you! In that case, I should roughly average a cool million a year! 🙂

2. Jessica Sita says:

stop being me ok? It’s getting a little Freaky Friday up in here.

but seriously, beautifully written post. And Ksenia rocks my socks.

1. Ericka Clay says:

Haha! Never, Jess! 🙂 Thank you and wasn’t she amazing??

3. Ashley says:

Beautiful, Ericka. I loved this.

1. Ericka Clay says:

Thank you, Ashley!

4. Glad to know I’m not the only one who gets overwhelmed by distractions of a life-related variety. When I do force myself to sit down and get UN-distracted, I know that I can make progress, and it feels great.

1. Ericka Clay says:

“Overwhelmed” is my middle name, Helena! I had to realize that I’m a writer first and blogger/marketer of my work second. Realizing this has made an amazing difference in my work.

1. I guess a lot of mine is just from the book launch. It will calm down.

5. As a writer poised on the edge of vomiting another book, I know how crucial it is to cut the distractions. It isn’t always easy, because……well…….LIFE.

1. Ericka Clay says:

Yes, LIFE can be a nuisance when writing’s concerned. So I had to find a plan that works and commit my mornings to the chair. So far so good…hoping it will last!

6. maurnas says:

This was lovely. And not writing makes me miserable.

7. Yes Ericka, I do fall for the ordinary things that keep happening in my life and call them out as the evils in my way. But lately I have been realising that these ordinary moments are the most extraordinary ones.

PS: feels great to be back here. 🙂

8. Hello Ericka! I enjoyed reading your post. I agree, get those first words down and you’re off! 🙂

9. It’s all about the words.

I get in my way too. Sigh. I’ll try harder.

10. The Hook says:

You’re a wise mammal, Ericka..
    I am my own worst enemy when it comes to my writing.

Get Wordy

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s